Old Iroquois Lock 25, Iroquois, Ontario, Canada

Old Iroquois Lock 25 | N 44.50.10 W 75.18.28 | Iroquois, Ontario, Canada




The mouth of the original Iroquois lock constructed in 1845 as part of the Galop Canal.

Before the construction of the Seaway Iroquois was a waterfront community with a main street curving around the riverbank where Lock 25 was located. Iroquois was ‘moved’ and rebuilt under the guidance of urban planners from the United Kingdom who brought with them all the best of 1950s town planning. The result is an incongruous, well-spaced grid of modern housing, two modern schools and a shopping plaza. Iroquois’ waterfront was supplanted by a paved airstrip and an 18 hole golf course the only development deemed safe for on the unstable river dredgings the Seaway builders decided to dump where much of the town once stood. The shopping plaza, once the most modern in Eastern Ontario, was a showpiece in the eyes of Seaway developers and some, but certainly not all residents. It was honoured by the royal visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1959.


Old Iroquois Lock 25, Iroquois, Ontario, Canada

Old Iroquois Lock 25 | N 44.50.10 W 75.18.28 | Iroquois, Ontario, Canada




The mouth of the original Iroquois lock constructed in 1845 as part of the Galop Canal.

Before the construction of the Seaway Iroquois was a waterfront community with a main street curving around the riverbank where Lock 25 was located. Iroquois was ‘moved’ and rebuilt under the guidance of urban planners from the United Kingdom who brought with them all the best of 1950s town planning. The result is an incongruous, well-spaced grid of modern housing, two modern schools and a shopping plaza. Iroquois’ waterfront was supplanted by a paved airstrip and an 18 hole golf course the only development deemed safe for on the unstable river dredgings the Seaway builders decided to dump where much of the town once stood. The shopping plaza, once the most modern in Eastern Ontario, was a showpiece in the eyes of Seaway developers and some, but certainly not all residents. It was honoured by the royal visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1959.