Lower Wales Road , Wales, Ontario, Canada

Lower Wales Road | N 45.00.34 W 74.55.01 | Wales, Ontario, Canada




The concrete floor of one building and the ruins of several others along Lower Wales Road in Wales, Ontario. The maple and oak tree stumps still line the road on both sides. This was one of two roads connecting Dickinson’s Landing (with its locks on the canal) with Wales (served by a CNR railway station).

Founded by Loyalists in the late 1700s, the village grew when the Grand Trunk Railway established a station in 1856. Once known as Dickinson’s Landing Station it was renamed after the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1860. Situated on low lying land, Wales was the only inland village flooded with opening of the St Lawrence Seaway in 1958, displacing about 200 people to Ingleside, Ontario.


Lower Wales Road , Wales, Ontario, Canada

Lower Wales Road | N 45.00.34 W 74.55.01 | Wales, Ontario, Canada




The concrete floor of one building and the ruins of several others along Lower Wales Road in Wales, Ontario. The maple and oak tree stumps still line the road on both sides. This was one of two roads connecting Dickinson’s Landing (with its locks on the canal) with Wales (served by a CNR railway station).

Founded by Loyalists in the late 1700s, the village grew when the Grand Trunk Railway established a station in 1856. Once known as Dickinson’s Landing Station it was renamed after the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1860. Situated on low lying land, Wales was the only inland village flooded with opening of the St Lawrence Seaway in 1958, displacing about 200 people to Ingleside, Ontario.