Emma Hollingsworth (née Ellis)

Emma Hollingsworth lived in Moulinette, Ontario





“My uncle Bill – that would be Annie, the teacher’s, husband – he was involved with the group that had to be witnessing the opening of all the graves when they were moving them.

And he said some of the graves they opened, there wasn’t really, you know, much there.

But any graves that had very much, they were put in another container and they were moved.

But any graves that there wasn’t any, wasn’t very much there – like in Dickinson’s Landing, in the graveyard there – they just, what they called riprapped that. They put heavy, heavy rocks on it, covered it completely and just left the graves.”


Emma Hollingsworth (née Ellis)

Emma Hollingsworth lived in Moulinette, Ontario





“My uncle Bill – that would be Annie, the teacher’s, husband – he was involved with the group that had to be witnessing the opening of all the graves when they were moving them.

And he said some of the graves they opened, there wasn’t really, you know, much there.

But any graves that had very much, they were put in another container and they were moved.

But any graves that there wasn’t any, wasn’t very much there – like in Dickinson’s Landing, in the graveyard there – they just, what they called riprapped that. They put heavy, heavy rocks on it, covered it completely and just left the graves.”



Video Interview



Video Excerpt: Emma Hollingsworth, Lost Villages Historical Society Schoolhouse, Long Sault, Ontario. August 14, 2013

Video Interview



Video Excerpt: Emma Hollingsworth, Lost Villages Historical Society Schoolhouse, Long Sault, Ontario. August 14, 2013

Video Interview



Video Excerpt: Sally Grant, Lost Villages Historical Society, LVHS Schoolhouse, Long Sault, Ontario. August 14, 2013

Video Interview



Video Excerpt: Emma Hollingsworth, Lost Villages Historical Society Schoolhouse, Long Sault, Ontario. August 14, 2013

Summary

In this short video Emma Hollingsworth (née Ellis) recounts how her Uncle Bill was a member of the committee that witnessed the opening of graves before they were moved. Those coffins that were to be left in their graves during the flooding were rip-rapped, that is covered with heavy stones. 

The destruction of the Sunken Villages was a complete and thorough endeavour, which also meant moving or razing of churches. The authorities met with families whose ancestors were interned in the cemeteries making them chose between leaving their graves or having them disintered and moved to the new St Lawrence Valley Cemetery between Town One and Town Two (eventually named Ingleside and Long Sault). The graveyards were then covered with rock to prevent the remaining coffins and their contents from ever dislodging and floating to the surface.

There were only two official memorials built in the aftermath of the destruction and flooding. The first was to create a manmade hill near Upper Canada Village for the plinth that comemorated the 1813 Battle of Crysler’s Farm. The second is the obscure and largely overlooked Upper Canada Pioneer Memorial a series of low-slung walls into which some of historical grave markers from each village were embedded.

Bio

Emma Hollingsworth lived in Moulinette, Ontario.

She now lives in Long Sault, Ontario.

Summary

In this short video Emma Hollingsworth (née Ellis) recounts how her Uncle Bill was a member of the committee that witnessed the opening of graves before they were moved. Those coffins that were to be left in their graves during the flooding were rip-rapped, that is covered with heavy stones.

The destruction of the Sunken Villages was a complete and thorough endeavour, which also meant moving or razing of churches. The authorities met with families whose ancestors were interned in the cemeteries making them chose between leaving their graves or having them disintered and moved to the new St Lawrence Valley Cemetery between Town One and Town Two (eventually named Ingleside and Long Sault). The graveyards were then covered with rock to prevent the remaining coffins and their contents from ever dislodging and floating to the surface.

There were only two official memorials built in the aftermath of the destruction and flooding. The first was to create a manmade hill near Upper Canada Village for the plinth that comemorated the 1813 Battle of Crysler’s Farm. The second is the obscure and largely overlooked Upper Canada Pioneer Memorial a series of low-slung walls into which some of historical grave markers from each village were embedded.

Bio

Emma Hollingsworth lived in Moulinette, Ontario.

She now lives in Long Sault, Ontario.



The Sunken Villages interviews give voice, sometimes for the first time, to the memories, emotions, experiences and reflections about what happened when the construction of the Seaway flooded the St Lawrence Valley. These first person accounts are reviving a history that has been officially ignored and largely forgotten.

July 1, 1958 is remembered as Inundation Day around Cornwall, Ontario and Massena, NY. At 08:00 a controlled explosion tore open a cofferdam. Four days later an area that had been home to 7,500 people disappeared under the waves of Lake St. Lawrence, part of the newly created St. Lawrence Seaway.

On the Canadian side, 12 communities, some dating back to the 1700s, were affected. Maple Grove, Mille Roches, Moulinette, Sheeks Island, Wales, Dickinson’s Landing, Farran’s Point and Aultsville were entirely destroyed. Iroquis was demolished and moved a mile to continue on in name. About half of Morrisburg – including its waterfront and most of its business district and main street – were levelled.

On the American side, in St Lawrence County in upstate New York, Croil's Island, Louisville Landing, and Richards Landing ceased to exist, and parts of Waddington were dismantled.

The Sunken Villages interviews give voice, sometimes for the first time, to the memories, emotions, experiences and reflections about what happened when the construction of the Seaway flooded the St Lawrence Valley. These first person accounts are reviving a history that has been officially ignored and largely forgotten.

July 1, 1958 is remembered as Inundation Day around Cornwall, Ontario and Massena, NY. At 08:00 a controlled explosion tore open a cofferdam. Four days later an area that had been home to 7,500 people disappeared under the waves of Lake St. Lawrence, part of the newly created St. Lawrence Seaway.

On the Canadian side, 12 communities, some dating back to the 1700s, were affected. Maple Grove, Mille Roches, Moulinette, Sheeks Island, Wales, Dickinson’s Landing, Farran’s Point and Aultsville were entirely destroyed. Iroquis was demolished and moved a mile to continue on in name. About half of Morrisburg – including its waterfront and most of its business district and main street – were levelled.

On the American side, in St Lawrence County in upstate New York, Croil's Island, Louisville Landing, and Richards Landing ceased to exist, and parts of Waddington were dismantled.