Lower Wales Road

Back to Home

Coordinates

N 45.00.34 W 74.55.01

Village

Wales, Ontario, Canada

Description

Concrete floor and foundation of a building adjacent to Lower Wales Road, one of two roads connecting Dickinson’s Landing with Wales and its railway station. The stumps of a line of trees can still be seen. Founded by Loyalists in the late 1700s, the village grew when the Grand Trunk Railway established a station in 1856. Once known as Dickinson’s Landing Station it was renamed after the visit of the Prince of Wales in 1860. Situated on low lying land, Wales was the only inland village flooded with opening of the St Lawrence Seaway in 1958, displacing about 200 people to Ingleside, Ontario.

Comments are closed.