The mouth of the original Iroquois lock constructed in 1845 as part of the Galop Canal. Before the construction of the Seaway Iroquois was a waterfront community with its main street curving along the St Lawrence River’s bank. While the village still exists it was largely moved and displaced inland with the construction of the Seaway. The shops on the waterfront were replaced by a shopping plaza, the most modern in Eastern Ontario. Queen Elizabeth visited it in 1959.